- ABOUT SAY NO
- AROUND THE WORLD
- THE ISSUE
- TAKE ACTION
The 16 Days of Activism Against Gender Violence is an international campaign originating from the first Women’s Global Leadership Institute sponsored by the Center for Women’s Global Leadership in 1991. Participants chose the dates, November 25, International Day Against Violence Against Women, and December 10, International Human Rights Day, in order to symbolically link violence against women and human rights and to emphasize that such violence is a human rights violation. This 16-day period also highlights other significant dates, including November 29, International Women Human Rights Defenders Day, December 1, World AIDS Day, and December 6, the Anniversary of the Montreal Massacre. The 16 Days of Activism focuses on:
- raising awareness at the local, national, regional and international levels about gender-based violence
- strengthening local work
- linking local and global work
- providing a forum for dialogue and strategy-sharing
- pressuring governments to implement commitments made in national and international legal instruments
- demonstrating the solidarity of activists around the world
Each year the Center for Women's Global Leadership develops a theme for the international campaign in consultation with women's organizations around the world. CWGL also produces a Take Action Kit with more information on how to get involved in the campaign. This year the theme is "Structures of Violence: Defining the Intersections of Militarism and Violence Against Women." To learn more, please visit the 16 Days Campaign website: http://16dayscwgl.rutgers.edu/.
Tell your stories of 16 Days of Activism on www.saynotoviolence.org
Are you organizing events, film screenings and discussion forums, public walks and demonstrations, or taking any other initiatives for the 16 Days? Share your story globally on www.saynotovolence.org. It’s easy to do:
- Visit www.saynotoviolence.org and create a user profile. Once your free account is activated,
- Create an action page!
- Use the 16 Days of Activism logo for your action image and choose “16 Days” as your action type.
You can also send your event details (Organization, Date, Location, Description of Activities, Contact Information, and a Website - if applicable) to email@example.com for inclusion in the Online International Calendar of Activities.
Download the 16 Days Action Kit in from http://16dayscwgl.rutgers.edu/2010-campaign/take-action-kit
|Date:||25 November 2010|
|Action Type:||16 Days|