- ABOUT SAY NO
- AROUND THE WORLD
- THE ISSUE
- TAKE ACTION
CWGL is pleased to announce the theme for the upcoming 16 Days of Activism Against Gender Violence Campaign (2011):
*From Peace in the Home to Peace in the World:*
Let's Challenge Militarism and End Violence Against Women!
This theme announcement builds on the work of so many activists during the 2010 campaign. The five sub-themes will be:
1. Bringing together women, peace, and human rights movements to challenge militarism
2. Proliferation of small arms and their role in domestic violence
3. Sexual violence in and after conflict
4. Political violence against women, including Pre/During/Post-election violence
5. Sexual and gender-based violence committed by state agents, particularly the police or military
For the online version of the announcement, please visit the 16 Days website: http://16dayscwgl.rutgers.edu/2011-campaign/theme-announcement. If you would like to receive updates on the 16 Days Campaign, please join our listserve at https://email.rutgers.edu/mailman/listinfo/16days_discussion or follow us on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/16DaysCampaign.
The 16 Days of Activism Against Gender Violence is an international campaign originating from the first Women’s Global Leadership Institute sponsored by the Center for Women’s Global Leadership in 1991. Participants chose the dates, November 25, International Day Against Violence Against Women, and December 10, International Human Rights Day, in order to symbolically link violence against women and human rights and to emphasize that such violence is a human rights violation. This 16-day period also highlights other significant dates, including November 29, International Women Human Rights Defenders Day, December 1, World AIDS Day, and December 6, the Anniversary of the Montreal Massacre. The 16 Days of Activism focuses on:
- raising awareness at the local, national, regional and international levels about gender-based violence
- strengthening local work
- linking local and global work
- providing a forum for dialogue and strategy-sharing
- pressuring governments to implement commitments made in national and international legal instruments
- demonstrating the solidarity of activists around the world
If you are taking action, organizing events, workshops and more, to mark the 16 Days of Activism, post about them on www.saynotoviolence.org. Posting actions on this website is easy:
Create an account if you do not already have one: http://saynotoviolence.org/user/register. If you already have an account, log in.
Post a brief description of your event by filling up the action page form and save it (http://saynotoviolence.org/join-say-no/start-action). You can count signatures you collect towards a petition or participants at your events as "actions"; post photos and videos from your events to inform and engage more people.
Share your action page with your friends, colleagues and networks, via email and on social media, using the "Share This" feature.
|Date:||25 November 2011|
|Action Type:||16 Days|