- ABOUT SAY NO
- AROUND THE WORLD
- THE ISSUE
- TAKE ACTION
The 2nd annual conference for elimination of violence against women.
Celebrating the 2nd annual anniversary of announcing an Islamic Day for Elimination Violence against Women , the Department of
Women's Affairs of Al-Hakim Foundation organized in Al-Najaf its second annual conference on 1-21-2010 for elimination all forms
of violence against women.
More than 1500 women from different segments of the Iraqi society participated in this conference which addressed the issue of
women and the injustice and suffering that Iraqi women are facing and the best ways to enhance the role of women in building the
Many academics and religious figures, researchers, professors, specialists in the field of women, teachers, academies and
university students participated in the conference.
The recommendations of the Conference
1. The Conference recommended that international agencies, intellectuals and officials need to increase the attention and support
for the rights of women.
2. Conference advocated the Ministry of Education to include in curriculums the peaceful coexistence and non-violence and mutual
respect in the family.
3. Establishing programs to educate about anti-violence against women and educate women about their rights and supporting
women to gain them through cooperation with international institutions and civil society organizations.
4. Conference recommended impeding the false traditions and the social norms that affect women such as forced marriage and
5. Demanding the religious authorities to take a superior role in educating both men and women and to remove all forms of violence
and persecution against women.
A member of Al-Najaf Governorate Council member said that "the process of harmony between men and women is a sign of a
culture and urbanization and the presence of such conferences, seminars, pamphlets and posters distributed will educate both men
and women on their rights, especially towards women as our society give the man more importance than women.”
Nisreen al-Fatlawi mentioned that women at all levels and segments taking an important role after the fall of the former regime, and
now we find a secular, Islamic, Christian and other intellectuals women working in all aspects of life.
Observers considered that the large participation of women in the conference demonstrates the cultural awareness for women and
their attempts to develop culture between women specially after gaining the freedom to go out and search for the best ways to
expand their knowledge in order to advance and progress and to know their rights.
The conference established a committee which consists of many law professors to draft the final statement and the delivery of
proposals to the concerned agencies.
|Date:||21 January 2010|
|Action Type:||Awareness Raising|